Boston Township
expand | contract

History by the Minutes

Township Minutes Reviewed, 1934 through 1948

The majority of township and trustee business concerned payment of bills. A sense of the flow of life can be had by following the transactions in Checking History.

Road name help:
Cemetery: Main Street in Boston
Carter Road: Probably Wheatley, because there was the large Carter Farm at the foot of Wheatley Hill
Meirs (Mears): a short road connecting Wheatley to Everett
Dickerson: Quick, because of farms on Quick Road owned by the Dickerson families.
Brewery: Boston Mills
Peninsula-Kent: Barlow, which used to connect to route 303 just east of Happy Days and went all the way to downtown Kent
Deacon: The Deacon family owned much of the property on Barlow Road
Hine: Hines Hill
Lee Hill: The Lees owned the big house and farm that is now the Environmental Center, plus the land across the street down to Furnace Run.
Richfield Hudson Road: State Route 303

Sometime in the 1940s the County standardized road names, to eliminate confusion from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

1934

The general fund appropriations were $1,110 for general purposes,$350 for poor relief and $1,400 for cemetery upkeep; the road and bridge fund appropriation was $3,276. Wages set:
Hand labor - fifty cents per hour
Foreman - sixty cents per hour
Tractor drivers - fifty five cents per hour
Truck and driver - one dollar per hour
Team and driver - eighty cents per hour
Tractors - one dollar per hour; owner to furnish gasoline, oil and repairs

In March the trustees petitioned the county engineer to assume the maintenance of County Highway 32, Boston Mills-Hudson Road and County Highway 188, Wetmore Road.

Relief bills dominate the bills paid. One interesting payment in May: Motion to approve the payment of $65 to F.R. Duncan for seed potatoes with the understanding that if 65 bushels could be purchased otherwise the money to be returned to the Clerk.

"Due to the nature of (his) present employment" Charles Truxell resigned as Justice of the Peace in August. G.B. Harrington was appointed to fill the unexpired term.

In November the trustees held two special meetings to authorize "renovising" the wood building by laying floors, plastering, redecorating the walls, making necessary repairs to preserve the property and erecting a new chimney for the Town Hall. [It is interesting to note they did not own the property for another five years.]

In December the trustees met at the town hall in Peninsula to authorize the purchase of twelve window shades for the town hall.

1935

The budget was set at a few dollars less than the previous year. In May the trustees entered into an agreement with Peninsula Village to use their fire department and personnel for the balance of the year, for the sum of $250.

At a special meeting in August the trustees voted to request a budget increase from the Summit County Budget Commissioner of about $4,000.

In August the trustees voted to transfer from the contingency fund, which had $872.75, "an amount sufficient to pay expenditures in the public park fund." There is no public park fund specified in the 1935 budget; however, it probably was an allowable township expense. Perhaps money to underwrite the little park in Boston. See History>Boston Park.

1936

At the first regular meeting the trustees authorized the clerk to purchase 500 emergency relief orders. The trustees authorized the T.J. Wynne, the new trustee president to authorize and issue relief orders to grocers and coal dealers for emergency relief cases in Boston Township. When the township books for this period were audited the auditor noted two trustees shall sign each relief order.

The township's annual appropriations for the year were less than the previous year and, at $5,268.50, considerably less than the $10,000 they hoped the Commissioners would levy.

Elwood Day, the clerk, resigned and Marie McDevitt was appointed clerk at the regular April meeting. At the same meeting the trustees advised City, Peoples' St. Thomas and Children's Hospitals that indigent cases admitted from Boston Township only with an indigent order unless a case of extreme emergency. The trustees also authorized repairs to Columbia and Brewery (Boston Mills) Roads, to be paid from the gas tax fund. Fifty dollars was also authorized from the gas fund to pay back wages to Mr. Johns(t)on.

At a special meeting in May the trustees authorized the purchase of a twenty-four inch gasoline driven lawn mower, complete with pneumatic tires and serviced for one year from the Hardware & Supply Co., Akron, Ohio, for the sum of $299.00.

In August the trustees authorized repairs to Carter, Brewery, Oak Hill, Scobie, Mears and Dickerson Roads.

In September the Trustees voted to request the release of Item 30, Columbia Road, "as provided in the W.P.A. Blanket Road Projects." Also requested, W.P.A. funds for Commodore, Boston Mills-Hudson Road, also known as Brewery Road.

Monthly presentation of bills indicates the local shops were paid against the accounts held there for road laborers. One notation is $157.70 paid from pay due Geo. Gillette, deceased.

At year's end, due to fund cash balances, the trustees were able to appropriate an additional $150 each to the General and Road funds.

The tic mark at the top of each page indicates the minutes have been reviewed by the auditor.

1937

The total annual budget is $5,671. In April the trustees agreed to join the county relief program in which surplus intangible property taxes from the township were diverted to the county, administered by the county and returned as relief to the township's indigent residents.

In May the trustees agreed to procure a cemetery record book for the use of the clerk, and paint for the cannon in the cemetery. L. J. Morris was appointed sexton of the Cedar Grove Cemetery.

In May the resignation of Joe Ritch as constable was accepted; L. J. Morris is appointed to replace him. The trustees also requested fire protection for the township from the Village of Peninsula. The township will pay $15 for every fire attended to by the Village Fire Department, and the Village Fire Department is to attend every fire in the township when requested to do so.

In order to receive W.P.A. funding the township trustees agreed to allow a central agency, set up by the County Board of Commissioners, certify township road projects for W.P.A. funding.

At a special meeting in July the Cemetery Association of Peninsula turned over to the Trustees of Boston Township a trust fund of about $940, to be held under provisions of the Uniform Depository Act of the State of Ohio. At subsequent meetings the trustees appropriate principal and interest from the trust fund to the cemetery fund.

In September the township turned over maintenance of about sixteen miles of township roads to the county.

1938

In a special meeting in January, two men are certified for WPA; and, Elmer Conger is appointed to serve the unexpired term of Justice of the Peace, replacing Gurdon Harrington, who failed to qualify following his election in November 1935.

In January the trustees certified nine more men for WPA and continued the fire contract with Peninsula. The Township shared in state relief funds by providing one third funding to two thirds state funding, but were allowed to handle their own relief cases.

At each meeting more men are certified to WPA, and relief is approved for individual cases.

In March the trustees requested Stine Road repairs be a WPA project.

In July the trustees certified a man to WPA and another to NYA.

A special meeting was held in August "for the purpose of discussing the relief situation and the trustees expressed their opinions pro and con in regard to centralization of the relief."

In October the trustees changed the fire agreement with Peninsula from a per call basis to a contract for the year, for $100.

A ton of coal and "shoes for the children" are authorized a relief recipient at the end of the year. At the last meeting of the year, "inasmuch as there is insufficient money to take care of immediate 1939 relief needs, that the trustees transfer $200 from the General Fund to the Relief Fund."

1939

The tic marks after meeting dates indicate the state auditor has reviewed the minutes. The auditor has signed in the margin of the Jan 23, 1939 minutes: H. H. Hastings, State Examiner.

Trustee Dickinson died January 21, 1939. James Morris is appointed to fill the unexpired term.

The State Relief fund is matching relief dollars one to one, not two to one, as last year. The township enters into a one year, $200 fire contract with Peninsula. Trustees Brady and Morris voted yes; Scobie voted No.

Relief orders are approved at many meetings.

In May the trustees set prices for cemetery lots, $5 to $25 to residents, depending on size, and $50 to non-residents. The trustees also voted to withdraw $940 from the National Bank of Hudson, the money in the Cemetery Fund. In June they voted not to.

The trustees requested WPA project status for Oak Hill and Everett Roads in June.

In August the trustees purchased the "old school house" from the Boston Township Board of Education for the sum of $100. This is the wood school house on the corner of Riverview and State Route 303 in Peninsula, where the trustees have been meeting for several years. The Trustees made some repairs to this building in 1934.

At the same meeting the trustees agreed to relinquish authority for relief to residents to Summit County.

At the September meeting the trustees refined cemetery lot pricing to $25 for family lots to residents, $50 to non residents; $10 for single lots to residents and $20 to non residents. The trustees will also give deeds for the lots.

The trustees reduce the fire protection contract with Peninsula from $200 to $150.

In October, "the trustees lease to the Union Grange the wood building on the old school house property, now known as the new town hall, for a period of one year at $1 per year. Marie McDevitt makes pencil notations to herself on several pages of minutes. The notation at the bottom of the December 18th meeting may indicate there is an extra $33.33 available.

Trustee John Scobie died December 2, 1939.

1940

Hazel Scobie is appointed to fill her husband's unexpired term.

Once again the pages of the minutes are ticked by the state examiner, indicating they have been inspected for audit.

The entire budget for 1940 is $4298.36, including .83 in the Unanticipated Emergency fund.

The trustees approve in January $150 for a fire contract with Peninsula.

The deputy auditor advised Cedar Grove Cemetery, being within the Village boundaries, be given over to the jurisdiction of the Village. The Trustees resolved to make the transfer effective July 1st, together with the $940 savings account, only the interest of which can be used for upkeep of the cemetery.

In July, due to numerous complaints of dust from property owners, the trustees request the county engineer oil Boston Cemetery, Boston Brandywine, Major and Oakhill roads.

1941

The budget for the year is $4,494.43, down from over six thousand dollars per year in 1934. The recession is not over.

The state examiner, H. H. Hastings signs in the margin of February 24th. This page is the last in this series ticked by an auditor.

In March the trustees voted to appropriate $500 from the Gas Tax Fund for trustee salaries.

The fire contract is renewed; the trustees vote again to turn over Cedar Grove cemetery, plus the $940 fund, and bill the Village for work done by the Trustees in the cemetery since July 1, 1940.

In July the rate for labor was raised to sixty cents per hour, up from fifty cents set in 1934. The rate for a team is raised to $1.25.

The township is oiling roads to control dust, not asking the county.

1942

Wages are set:
Hand labor - sixty cents per hour
Foreman - seventy cents per hour
Tractor drivers - sixty cents per hour
Truck and driver - one dollar fifty cents per hour
Team and driver - one dollar fifty cents per hour
Tractors - one dollar twenty five cents per hour; owner to furnish gasoline, oil and repairs

At the first meeting the trustees also requested the county engineer put "Side Road" notices at Stine Road on Route 303 and at Major Road on Riverview Road.

The budget increases to $10,286.16.

William Brady is appointed to serve on the Cemetery Board and to work with Village council to arrange for a joint cemetery board.

The fire contract with Peninsula is increased to $200 per year.

In April discussion continued of the advisability of forming a Union Cemetery Board and selling back to Peninsula that portion of the old town hall owned by the Trustees. The Trustees resolved to transfer their remaining interest in the old town hall to the Village for the sum of ten dollars. The Trustees could continue using Village Council chambers for up to two years, until the township hall has a heating unit installed, and the trustees reserved the right to remove the tool house on the southern portion of the property within six months.

Each entity made and exchanged their respective resolution/ordinance to form the Union Cemetery Association; the bodies met jointly on April 14th, formed the Union Cemetery Board. They met later in April to form joint rules and regulations and conduct business. The trustees became:
George Fisher, one year term
Hazel Scobie, two year term
Clayton Stanford, three year term

Minutes of joint meetings of Village Council and Township Trustees are interspersed with Township meeting minutes. No business seemed to be conducted until August, when the funding mechanism for the Union Cemetery was determined to be through property taxes to be placed on the ballot in November, 1942.

1943

A fire contract with Peninsula is approved for one year and $200. At the February meeting the trustees voted to apply to the War Production Board for permission to buy a dump truck for the township.

The rules and costs of the cemeteries are established at a joint meeting in April.

Because Trustee Morris is ill, the meetings are held at his home throughout the year.

At the December meeting the trustees set the 1944 fire contract at $200 and mailed a check to Peninsula.

1944

Meetings continue to be held at the home of James Morris.

The budget has increased to $12,805; a major portion of the general fund expense is $3,000 for upkeep of the Town Hall.

A joint meeting of Council and Trustees voted that one dollar per lot "(including deed) be charged those tax payers who have part of their family buried in either cemetery previous to the joint resolution."

A representative of the Engineer's office met with the trustees in March and explained post-war planning. The trustees recommended the improvement of Oak Hill, Wetmore and Hine Roads.

In July the trustees agree to pay the county to mow weeds along all township roads.

The joint meeting to set funding for the cemetery and appoint the cemetery board trustees is held again in May.

In December the trustees passed a resolution, probably together with many townships in Ohio, urging the state legislature to return the gasoline tax revenue to "counties, municipalities and townships for expenditure for road purposes only."

1945

The wood school house portion of the town hall is again leased to the Grange for $1.00; the fire contract for the year is set for $200, and the trustees authorize the County Engineer to plow township roads as needed.

The trustees and Peninsula council appropriated one half mill to fund the cemeteries at their joint meeting in May.

The trustees purchase two furnaces for the township hall, and put a cement floor in the furnace room. In August the trustees held a meeting to look over the building and see what repairs were needed prior to further renovations. The major concern seems to be plastering.

In October the trustees decided to contact roofers concerning repairs to the roof.

In December the trustees requested the county plow the roads in 1946, as needed, and spot oil in any emergency that might arise.

1946

The township budget rises to $16,188, including $1,000 for poor relief and $500 for cemetery, "employees and other".

Egleston Electric is authorized to wire and place fixtures in the town hall, in the old school building. The fire contract with Peninsula is renewed for $300 for the year.

At a joint meeting in February the Cemetery board appointed a Peninsula representative to the board to fill the vacancy left when Peninsula council member Fisher was not a council member and no longer on the board.

In April the trustees requested the County Engineer install guard rail on "Lee Hill, near the end of Oak Hill Road." The trustees also advertised for a road grader, and purchased a used Warco grader for $1,180.

At the joint May meeting Council and the Trustees authorized the mill tax valuation to fund the two cemeteries in 1947.

At the June meeting the Trustees authorize the rate for Stanley Okay to paint the walls in the old school house. The clerk is also instructed to pay the light bill every month. This probably means the clerk is to pay the bill on receipt, rather than have it be paid late due to the monthly schedule of board of trustee meetings.

The trustees order two Baldwins Ohio Township Officers manuals for the use of the trustees.

Wages are raised to .90 cents per hour for labor, $1.00 per hour for truck driver or foreman.

Tom Sager is appointed Justice of the Peace in November.

In December the trustees requested the county engineer place a "red blinker light" at the intersection of Riverview and Major Roads.

1947

The township budget is set at $13,379, 17% lower than the previous year. Both real estate taxes and the gasoline tax from the State are projected to be significantly lower. The fire contract with Peninsula is renewed for $300.

In April an American Legion delegation asked to lease the second floor of the brick building of the town hall. Dr. Ray Barrett also met with the trustees for the purpose of renting the second floor as an office. He later decided against coming to Peninsula.

In May the trustees leased the second floor to the American Legion for one dollar, heat and light to be furnished by the Legion.

At the May joint meeting the half mill valuation was certified and Hazel Scobie unanimously appointed to the cemetery board.

In June, "the clerk was instructed to send Clarence Cook a bill for the use of the scraper in the amount of $50.00 and also ask for the return of same. The clerk was also instructed to send a bill to the Village of Peninsula for the use of the scraper at the rate of $1.00 per hour."

At the August meeting the trustees voted to allow the Peninsula Library the use of the main floor of the brick building of the town hall.

In October the trustees required the American Legion post and the Peninsla Library furnish coal and janitor service during the lifetime of their leases. They also gave permission to the Memorial Committee of the Legion to construct a recreation park on the township property at no cost to the township.

The recurring lease with the Union Grange was approved in December.

1948

The January business included renewing the lease with the library.

In February the trustees received the petition of Geoppert Road property owners requesting the township take the road and maintain it as a township road. The petition was tabled until the trustees could get information on the procedure necessary to take over a road. By the March meeting the trustees were in receipt of a letter from the county "stating the trustees had no authority to declare any private road a public road, and the property owners of Geoppert Road were requested to present their petition to the County Commissioners."

At the April meeting the trustees voted the township accept Geoppert Road for maintenance. Street lights for Everett and Boston are requested from Ohio Edison.

At the joint township/village meeting Chas Witson is named to fill the un-expired cemetery board term of Frank Seeley; Clayton Stanford is re-elected to the cemetery board for another three year term; and mill is appropriated for cemetery expense.

The Trustees decide artificial street lighting is needed for the public safety and welfare and accept the bid of Ohio Edison to install artificial lighting on certain streets, avenues and public places. The County Engineer is authorized to oil township roads where indicated, remove snow and perform emergency work on roads when requested.

A.L. Cameron resigns as constable; Chas Higelston is appointed.

The Union Grange and Peninsula Library and Historical Society leases are renewed for another year. The annual fire protection contract with Peninsula is made.